Friday, January 06, 2006

Ham and Swiss Casserole

Despite the ham and swiss quiche fiasco, I continue to be attracted to ham and swiss recipes. I have nothing bad to say about this one, other than that it is incredibly bland. Probably why the cook who submitted it to Allrecipes.com said: "This is one of the only casseroles that my picky husband will eat". Picky eaters notoriously prefer bland food. I, on the other hand, love spicy food. So why do I like ham and swiss so much? After much thought, I realized that when I make a ham and swiss sandwich, I use plenty of SPICY mustard. I love reubens which have corned beef (SPICY) and sauerkraut (SPICY). So this will probably be my last ham and swiss recipe unless I find one with SPICY ingredients!

This was very fast and easy to make. I diced the ham, cheese and onions while the noodles cooked so all I had to do was saute the onion and then mix it all. I'm not sure what the purpose of the milk and eggs is. They don't add anything in the way of taste or texture. This dish would be fine without them.

Verdict: Not bad, but I probably won't be making this one again.

Ham and Swiss Casserole
(Source: Allrecipes.com )


2 cups egg noodles
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
1 cup diced cooked ham
1 cup diced Swiss cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Toss drained noodles with 2 teaspoons of the oil. Heat remaining oil in a skillet and saute onion over medium heat until soft. Combine noodles, onion, mushrooms, ham, Swiss cheese, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 3 quart casserole dish. In a bowl mix together egg and milk; pour over noodle mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Recycle: vegetable oil bottle

Compost: onion skins, eggshells

No comments: