Friday, September 09, 2005

Ham and Swiss Quiche

Remember when quiche was popular? I ate a lot of really bad quiche served by well-meaning home cooks following the latest trend. I never ate it in restaurants or made it at home because I don't like being trendy. Fortunately, quiche has gone the way of fondue and jello molds and it is safe for me to eat out again. I came across this recipe one day and decided to try making quiche, just for giggles. I'm a sucker for ham and swiss and thyme is one of my favorite seasonings.

Everything was going well until I poured it into the pie crust and it overflowed. I thought maybe I had put in too much ham. I didn't measure it, I just threw in as much as I had on hand. I put a pan under it in the oven to catch the overflow as it cooked. I didn't test for "doneness" as recommended because after 50 minutes, it looked done (see photo). If I cooked it any longer, it was going to burn. It was cooked on the outside, but when I cut into it, it was an ooey-gooey mess inside. Too much liquid. It didn't solidify correctly.

What else was wrong with it? I used a ready-made crust because I don't have a deep pie dish. I don't recommend this for anything other than desserts because the crust was sweet. The green onions were probably used for color. They tasted terrible. I would use regular onions. There was too much thyme and too much salt. I don't use a lot of salt so the salt in the cheese and the ham would probably have been enough for me.

Recipes like this leave me scratching my head and wondering if anyone actually tested them before publishing.

Verdict: What were they thinking???


Ham and Swiss Quiche
(Source: AllRecipes.com )



1 (9 inch) unbaked (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
1 (12 fluid ounce) can Nestle Carnation Evaporated Milk
3 large eggs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup cubed cooked ham
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

PREHEAT oven to 350 F
WHISK together evaporated milk, eggs and flour in large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, ham, green onions, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into pie shell; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 5 to 7 minutes before serving.
VARIATION. For a lattice top quiche, use ready-made pie pastry for single crust pie. Cut pastry into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Lay pastry strips over filling in lattice-fashion, turning pastry over outside edge of dish. Bake as directed above.

Recycle: evaporated milk can

Compost: eggshells and tops of green onions

No comments: