Monday, September 19, 2005

Deluxe Devil's Food Cake

I had most of a quart of buttermilk left over after making the Blackberry Jam cake. I hate wasting anything so I went in search of a recipe that used buttermilk. The answer was already in my baking cupboard on the back of the Softasilk Cake Flour box. Deluxe Devil's Food Cake. I had made this recipe once already. The cake part was delicious but while the almond extract was perfect with the chocolate, it was completely overwhelming in the buttercream frosting. I wanted to try it again minus the almond extract in the frosting.

Mindful of the fiasco with the icing for the Blackberry Jam cake, when 4 tablespoons of milk wasn't enough, I only added one more. That still made it a little runny. Hence, the cake is not a thing of beauty as you can see in the picture. I should have increased the amount of vanilla. All I could taste was the sugar, no butter, no vanilla.

I know that most people look down on Betty Crocker recipes but you have to give them credit. Those recipes always work. You really have to try to mess them up. I've been making her buttercream frostings literally since I was a child and, other than learning early on not to frost cakes in very hot weather, I have never had the problems with Betty Crocker frostings that I have experienced with other frostings. I keep trying other recipes but always go back to Betty Crocker both for taste and because they are foolproof.

Verdict: split decision. Cake: Yum! This one's a keeper. Frosting: Not bad, but I don't think I'll be making this one again.

Deluxe Devil's Food Cake

(Source: the back of the Softasilk Cake Flour box)


2 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margaine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups Softasilk Cake Flour
1 cup baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
Buttercream Frosting (below)
Chocolate curls, if desired
White chocolate curls, if desired

Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.

Beat sugar, butter, vanilla and almond extract in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix cake flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; beat into sugar micture alternately with buttermilk on medium speed. Beat 1 minute longer. Pour into pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inseted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely. Fill layers and frost cake with Buttercream Frosting. Garnish with chocolate curls.

Buttercream Frosting
6 cups powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
4 to 6 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 teaspoon almond extract

Beat all ingredients on medium speed until light and fluffy.

Here's how to assemble a three-layer cake:

1. Brush any loose crumbs from cooled layers. Place first layer, rounded side down, on plate. Spread with filling or frosting to within 1/4 inch of edge.
2. Top with second layer, rounded side down. Spread with filling or frosting.
3. Top with third layer, rounded side up. Coat side of cake with very thin layer of frosting to seal in crumbs. Frost side and top of cake.

Recycle: vanilla and almond extract bottles, cardboard cake flour box

Compost: eggshells

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We tried this recipe and it is fabulous. Yummy, yummy, yummy!
We found the almond extract a nice change to the original buttercream recipe. Although I did and have always added just a tich of salt to buttercream recipes as I think it cuts the powdered sugar bite.

Anonymous said...

I found the same recipe on the box and I veganized it using powdered egg replacer and soy milk and using margerine instead of butter. It was always a hit! So much so that I got asked for the recipe today, and happened upon your blog. So word to the wise - this is a good one to make for your vegan friends!