Monday, January 23, 2006

Choc-Oat-Chip Cookies

I always check the recipes on the backs of the chocolate chip bags when I buy one (or two or three or however many my coupon is for!). Usually, it's the same old recipes but occasionally they surprise me with a new one. What intrigued me about this recipe is that it calls for milk. Whoever heard of using milk to make oatmeal cookies? I've heard of drinking milk with oatmeal cookies or dunking oatmeal cookies in a glass of milk, but actually using milk to make oatmeal cookies was a first for me.

Unlike the Chocolate-Studded Dream Cookies that I made a few weeks ago, this batter was not incredibly stiff and the cookies baked into nice rounded shapes. The flavor was unlike the usual oatmeal cookies. It was more like oatmeal cookies dipped in milk. Gee, I wonder why??? Kinda bland sums it up. I think I'll stick to just adding chocolate chips to regular oatmeal cookies.

Verdict: Not bad, but I don't think I'll be making these again.

Choc-Oat-Chip Cookies
(source: Back of the chips bag)


1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) buter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 ups quick or old-fashioned oats
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat brown sugar, butter and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats, morsels and nuts; mix well. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake for 9 to 10 minutes for chewy cookies or 12 to 13 minutes for crispy cookies. Cool on baking sheets for 1 minute; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies

Recycle: vanilla extract bottle

Compost: eggshells

No comments: