Friday, January 13, 2006

Sloppy Jose Sandwiches with Cilantro Slaw

I have completely lost my mind. I bought a new cookbook. I already have dozens of cookbooks. I have newletters full of recipes arriving in my emailbox daily. I have access to the internet with its myriad recipe sites. And I bought "Southern Living 2005 Annual Recipes" (over 900 recipes!) anyways. What I really wanted was the free "Little Book of Cheesecakes" that came with it (Remember, I am still searching for the perfect cheesecake recipe). The plan was to keep the free cheesecake cookbook and return the 900 recipe cookbook before the end of the thirty day trial period. But, of course, I started looking through it, saw a bunch of recipes I wanted to try and gave up and mailed in my check. It's hopeless. I'm a recipe addict.

I'm always on the lookout for Sloppy Joe recipes that don't involve ketchup. Have you ever read the ingredients list on ketchup? High fructose corn syrup meaing all it is is tomato flavored sugar syrup. I was a little concerned about this recipe because it involved tomato sauce with nothing to cut the acid. And I was right. It was good, but too acidic for my tastes. The cole slaw was also good. The mustard made it nice and spicy. I went to two different grocery stores but couldn't find broccoli slaw mix. That was very disappointing. It sounds delicious.

Verdict: Not bad, but I don't think I'll be making this one again.

Sloppy Jose Sandwiches with Cilantro Slaw
(Source: Southern Living 2005 Annual Recipes)

1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Enova Oil
1 pound lean ground beef
2 (8-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 Nature's Own Honey Wheat hamburger buns
cilantro Slaw

Cook onion in hot oil in a cast-iron or large skillet over medium heat about 4 minutes or until onion is soft and tender. Stir in ground beef and next 6 ingredients, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until beef crumbles and is no longer pink.

Spoon beef mixture on bottom halves of toasted buns; top each with about 3 tablespoons Cilantro Slaw and remaining bun halves. Serve with remaining Cilantro Slaw.

Makes 4 servings.

Cilantro Slaw:

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons Hellmann's or Best Foods Real Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 (12-ounce) package broccoli slaw mix

Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add broccoli slaw, tossing to coat.

Makes 4 cups.

Recycle: tomato sauce cans, mustard bottles, mayonnaise bottle, vinegar bottle

Compost: onion skins

1 comment:

Sylvana said...

I would add a little brown sugar to your tastes to cut the acid. If you don't want that deep of a taste, you could use regular sugar instead. If you really want to get daring you could try a 100% white grape juice concentrate to sweeten!

I love your format, especially the recycle and compost additions. This format flows nice and pretty much covers everything!