Monday, January 09, 2006

Chocolate-Studded Dream Cookies

I think I have mentioned before that I am now on the mailing list for Nestle's site,
VeryBestBaking.com . In addition to recipes, they also offer coupons as inducements to try their products. When you print out a coupon, a recipe accompanies it. In this case, it was a recipe for cookies using the Swirled Semi-Sweet and White Cocolate Morsels. It was chocolate. I had to try it!

The batter for theses cookies comes out really, really stiff. I use a KitchenAid to mix my batters and it was laboring. You are supposed to divide the morsels putting half in the batter and the other half sprinkled on top of the cookies before putting them in the oven. These are drop cookies. I couldn't figure out a good way to top them with morsels so I put all of the morsels in the batter. They are supposed to be baked for 11 to 13 minutes but I found that wasn't enough and baked them for 15 minutes. When they came out of the oven, they were by far some of the ugliest cookies I have ever seen! They didn't bake into nice rounded cookies. Instead, they maintained their lumpy shapes.

Despite all the problems, they were delicious. I took them to a committee meeting. It was fun to watch people say they were just going to "try one" and then all through the meeting surreptitiously help themselves to more when they thought no one was looking. The bolder ones continued to help themselves as I made my way out the door at the end of the meeting! There weren't very many cookies left to bring home.

Verdict: Yum! This one's a keeper.


Chocolate-Studded Dream Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Nestle Toll House Baking Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 2/3 cups (10-oz pkg.) Nestle Toll House Swirled Real Semi-Sweet & White Chocolate Morsels, divided

Preheat oven to 325F.

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in 1 cup Swirled Morsels. Drop by well-rounded teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Top with remaining Swirled Morsels.

Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until cookies are puffed and centers are set. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Recycle: vanilla extract bottle

Compost: eggshells

No comments: