Friday, March 10, 2006

Parmesan Chicken Breasts

I don't need another chicken recipe. Really, I don't. And I already have an oven-baked "fried-chicken" recipe that I've been using for years. This looked like such an interesting variation that I had to try it. Parmesan cheese, garlic and basil. It could be Italian oven-baked "fried-chicken".

It was easy enough to put together. Six chicken breasts were way too much for me, so I only used four. Good thing because that's about all that the oil and garlic mixture covered. I don't know how I could have done six. There was plenty of bread crumb mixture however so I was able to sprinkle some more on top as suggested. It smelled really garlicky as it was baking and tasted very garlicky also. Believe it or not, it got more garlicky each day that it sat in my fridge (I cook for an entire week at a time). Now I love garlic, but this was too much even for me. And I really don't care for dishes where one taste overpowers all the others.

Verdict: Too garlicky. I won't be making this again.

Parmesan Chicken Breasts

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup dry bread crumbs
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a bowl, combine the olive oil and garlic. In a pie plate or bowl mix the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the oil mixture, then in the bread crumb mixture. Arrange the coated chicken breasts in the prepared bvaking dish, and top with any of the remaining bread crumb mixture. Bake 30 minutes or untiol the chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

Recycle: olive oil bottle

Compost: garlic skins

No comments: