Friday, March 24, 2006

Beef in Red Wine

Still in search of crockpot recipes, this one caught my eye. Yes, I am just as sick of beef cooked in red wine as you are. This recipe, though, has an interesting variation: onion soup mix. I love onions and I especially love onions with beef. After making this dish, I realize there is a huge difference between onions and onion soup mix. It had a weird taste that I later realized was a result of all the chemicals that comprise the soup mix. If I ever make this recipe again, I will omit the onion soup mix.

Verdict: Not bad, but I probably won't be making this again.

Beef in Red Wine
(Source: BHG.com )


1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 medium onions, cut up
2 beef bouillon cubes or 1 envelope (1/2 of a 2.2-ounce package) onion soup mix
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Salt
Black pepper
1-1/2 cups dry red wine
Hot cooked whole wheat pasta (optional)

1. Place the beef and onions in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Add bouillon cubes. Sprinkle with cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Pour red wine over all.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. If desired, serve over pasta. Makes 6 servings.

Recycle: red wine bottle

Compost: onion skins

No comments: