Monday, February 27, 2006

Chocolate Mint Brownies

Do you like Junior Mints? I do. And I'm sure you've seen recipes for "Junior Mint Brownies" made with Junior Mints. But I like to make everything from scratch so I was excited to find this recipe that seemingly mimicked the Junior Mint recipes without using Junior Mints.

This recipe was nothing but problems. To begin with, I didn't record where I found it and despite numberous internet searches, couldn't locate a source. Scroll down to the recipe and see if you can find another problem. Right you are! There is no oven temperature specified. I used 350F, the temperature used to bake my other favorite brownie recipes. Here's something else I noticed: no baking powder or baking soda. As you can see from the picture, the brownie part stayed flat. Another missing detail: the recipe didn't specify what kind of chocolate to use in the brownie. I opted for unsweetened because of the amount of sugar. I didn't bother with the green food coloring because I didn't have any on hand. The frosting was very stiff and difficult to spread and waaaaaay too minty. It overpowered the chocolate flavors of the brownie and the top chocolate coating. The recipe says to spread the chocolate covering over the frosting. I just poured it on top and then tilted the pan around until most of the frosting was covered. Crude, but it worked. All in all, this recipe was a big disappointment.

Verdict: What were they thinking???

Chocolate Mint Brownies
(Source: Unknown)
Brownies:
2 squares choclate
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup nuts

Frosting:
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons cream
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring

Chocolate covering:
1 square semi-sweet chocolate
1 square unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 tablespoons butter

Cream 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup sugar. Add eggs and (melted, cooled) chocolate. Add flour and nuts. Mix well. Bake in a greased and floured 9 x 9-inch pan for 20 minutes. Mix frosting ingredients. Allow brownies to cool, frost and place in refrigerator. In double boiler, melt the ingredients for chocolate covering, cool slightly and spread over frosting. When set, cut into squares.

Recycle: peppermint extract bottle, green food coloring bottle

Compost: eggshells

No comments: