Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fudgy Coconut Cookies

My printer at home is broken. Canon wants me to ship it back to them so that they can repair it. I’m not sure that it’s worth it. Do I really need a printer? For weeks now, any time I needed to print something, I would load it on to my flash drive, take it to work and print my documents there. This works very well as long as one remembers to save what one needs to ye olde flash drive.

Like a cookie recipe. Today, I found myself trying to bake a brand new cookie recipe with the recipe on the computer screen at one end of the house and my kitchen at the other end of the house. I would memorize a few ingredients and their amounts and then dash down the hall to the kitchen. Sometimes I would forget the amount and have to make a second trip. Back and forth. Back and forth.

Eventually, I had all of the ingredients in all of their correct amounts added in the correct order, and properly mixed. The first batch was in the oven, the second on another cookie sheet waiting their turn when I looked up and saw the butter. The quarter cup of butter that I had put out a few hours before to soften. The butter that I had completely forgotten about and somehow missed while sprinting between computer and kitchen.

Much like the printer, I decided it wasn’t worth it to either try to add it the remaining batter or to start all over again. I didn’t think that it would matter much whether the butter was in it or not because I didn’t think that I was going to like this recipe. I don’t like chocolate and brown sugar, something I apparently overlooked upon my initial reading of this recipe.

I never hesitate to admit when I am wrong and I was definitely wrong about these cookies. They were billed as “inspired by a Mounds candy bar”, although I wouldn’t agree with the comparison. They turned out to be great without the butter. My only complaint is that the coconut probably should be in smaller pieces. I can’t wait to try them again, this time including the butter.

Verdict: Yum!! This one’s a keeper

Fudgy Coconut Cookies
(Source: Cooking Club of America)


12 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350°F. Place chopped chocolate in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on medium 3 to 5 minutes or until almost melted. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla until smooth.

In small bowl, stir together flour and baking powder; stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in coconut and chocolate chips. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of batter onto baking sheets.

Bake, 1 sheet at a time, 12 to 15 minutes or until cookies are set. (Be careful not to burn cookies because batter is dark.) Place baking sheet on wire rack; cool completely.

18 cookies

Recycle: vanilla bottle
Compost: eggshells

No comments: