Friday, March 13, 2009

Buttermilk Pancakes

I’ve been making pancakes for years using Half & Half instead of milk because that is what I have in the refrigerator. I love buttermilk pancakes, but who has buttermilk in the house? I bought a quart of buttermilk to make the Red Velvet Cake but only used 1 ½ cups of it. I knew exactly what I was going to do with the rest!

A little searching on my favorite recipe sites yielded a quick and easy buttermilk pancake recipe. I was just a little leery because one of the commenters had noted that this batter was runny. I don’t know how she made this recipe because my experience was just the opposite. I found it to be too thick to pour or cook properly. My pancakes came out oval instead of round. I think it needs just a little bit more liquid to be perfect. The taste certainly was.

Verdict: Needs work

Buttermilk Pancakes
(source: BHG.com)


1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 ½ cups buttermilk or sour milk
3 tablespoons cooking oil
Desired fruit options (optional)
Desired syrup (optional)


In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl use a fork to combine egg, buttermilk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). If desired, stir in desired fruit.

For standard-size pancakes, pour about ¼ cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet, spreading batter if necessary. For dollar-size pancakes, use about 1 tablespoon batter. Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm. If desired, top with syrup. Makes 12 standard-size pancakes or 40 dollar-size pancakes.

Fruit Options: Stir one of the following fruits into the pancake batter: ½ cup chopped fresh apple, apricot, peach, nectarine, or pear; ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries; or ¼ cup chopped dried apple, pear, apricot, raisins, currants, dates, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, or mixed fruit.

Recycle: cooking oil bottle

Compost: eggshell

No comments: