Sunday, August 17, 2008

Barbecue Pulled Chicken

My kitchen is normally closed during the summer months due to the lack of air conditioning in my home. I still peruse recipes, putting them aside until September when I can finally turn on my stove without having to worry about cooking my cats and myself as well as the food.

Yahoo is not a site where I would usually look for recipes. Like any smart portal though, they spotlight various “services” they offer to entice you to stay longer on their pages before heading off onto the internet. A featured recipe for Barbecue Pulled chicken caught my eye the other day. I love spicy foods. My mouth watered as I read the ingredients. Definitely something to squirrel away for cooler weather.

Then I read the cooking directions. It’s made in a crock pot. The chicken doesn’t need to be browned ahead of time. I can make this now! I made a quick trip to the grocery store, mixed the ingredients in my crock pot and then headed out again to a Master Gardener meeting. My kitchen smelled heavenly when I returned several hours later. Best of all, the room was still cool.

My first taste of this dish left me non-plussed. I didn’t dislike it. But I didn’t love it either. I decided that I needed to try it again on a cold winter’s day when I’m dying for something hot and spicy to warm me up. That plan was thrown out when I ate this dish the second day.

Most recipes taste better the second day. The ingredients have had a chance to marinate, enhancing the flavor. When I tasted this dish the following day, I realized why I had been so ambivalent the prior day. Too much paprika. It was overpowering. I couldn’t taste anything else. All of the wonderful seasonings, even the green chilies, were masked by the paprika.

Verdict: What were they thinking???



Barbecue Pulled Chicken
(Source: Yahoo! Food)

Photo courtesy of Yahoo! Food



1 (8 ounce) can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thights, trimmed of fat
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic


Stir tomato sauce, chiles, cinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chiptle and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine.

Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.

Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.

Yield: 8 servings.

Recycle: Tomato sauce can, green chilies can, tomato paste can
Compost: Onion and garlic skins

No comments: