Sunday, December 10, 2006

ISTEP+ Muffins

This recipe came to me all the way from Indiana via my good friend, A, who frequently appears in my garden blog. She got it from a friend of a friend. The originator of the recipe named it after the state standardized tests in Indiana because she makes these muffins for her children when they take the tests. I think that's a great idea! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And a healthy breakfast is much better than sugary cereal. A characterized these muffins as "...very moist, in fact almost too moist. They're not overly pumpkin-y". After making them myself, I agree with the moist, but disagree with the pumpkin-y. Perhaps because A makes them with the applesauce. I don't have applesauce in the house, so I skipped it. I'm not a big fan of the squash family. The cinnamon in this recipe wasn't enough to mask the pumpkin flavor. I would want to add more of the usual pumpkin pie spices to this. Maybe adding the raisins would also help.

The recipe says to "beat" the batter. Muffins are usually stirred with a wooden spoon. I threw caution to the wind and got out my KitchenAid. I don't know if it was that or the recipe itself, but the muffins came out very light, not the usual heavy, dense texture. I definitely want to try this recipe again with a few adjustments.

Verdict: Yum! This one's a keeper.

ISTEP+ Muffins
(Source: Anonymous)


3 cups all-pupose flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil (OR 3/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup applesauce)
1 3/4 cups pumpkin (1 small can)
2 cups raisins (optional)
brown sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside. Beat eggs slightly. Add sugar, oil and pumpkin and beat thoroughly. Add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Stir in raisins (optional). Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full and, optionally, sprinkle tops with brown sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes for regular mufins; about 10 minutes for mini-muffins.

Makes approx. 3 dozen regular muffins or 7 to 8 dozen mini-muffins.

Recycle: pumpkin can, vegetable oil bottle, applesauce bottle

Compost: eggshells

No comments: