Sunday, October 22, 2006

Meatballs

I'm off from work this week to get my bulbs planted. Naturally, after a week of gorgeous, warm weather, this week is predicted to be much colder. It happens every year. The week I pick to plant is the coldest week in October! I will have to bundle up to work outside.

After working in the yard all day, I will want something warm for dinner. Definitely comfort food. I spent the weekend cooking so all I will have to do for dinner each day is heat something up. Of course, I made my ultimate comfort food, macaroni & cheese. I'm also having cravings for spaghetti & meatballs.

For years, I made very simple meatballs: ground beef, an egg, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. They were okay, nothing to get excited about. Then I discovered a fabulous recipe in the strangest place, a Beanie Baby book. During the Beanie Baby craze, my daughter had many of them and a few books about them. One of the books, The Beanie Baby Handbook, contained recipes. We tried most of them. They were terrible. Except the meatballs. They were delicious! I no longer have the book, but I still have the recipe.

Verdict: Yum! This one's a keeper!

Meatballs


1 pound lean ground beef
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil


Put the ground beef in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, crushed garlic, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, parsely, salt and pepper.

Using your hands, mix the ground beef mixture until it is well combined, but do not over mix as this will toughen the meatballs.

Divide ground beef mixture in half, divide each half into 12 even portions (this will make 24 small meat balls). Shape each portion of ground beef into a meatball. Place meatballs on a plate.

Heat oil in a frying pan on the stove over medium heat. Put meatballs in the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally with a wooden spoon to brown all sides.

Recycle: olive oil bottle

Compost: eggshells, garlic skins

No comments: